Raymond J. Sedlock, age 84, of Gwinn passed away on Sunday, September 18, 2011 at Marquette General Hospital surrounded by his loving family.
Ray was born October 1, 1926 in Negaunee, Michigan the son of Joseph and Mae (Eisman) Sedlock Sr. He was united in marriage to Carol Iris Karbum on November 18, 1950 at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Negaunee. Ray worked for Michigan Bell Telephone Company for 37 years and installed the first telephone at K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base.
He spent his early years hunting, fishing and building camps. He loved his camp in Gwinn by the Escanaba River where he would sit for hours and watch the river go by. He was a member of St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Gwinn where in early years he served on the board to build the new church. He was in the Knights of Columbus and served as an altar server for funerals. He also spent many years volunteering for St. Vincent de Paul. Ray loved his dogs and they always knew when grandpa was eating and they were going to get some. And they did.
Ray is survived by his wife of 62 years, Carol of Gwinn; two sons, Mike Sedlock of Skandia, MI and Fr. Dave Sedlock of Gwinn, MI ; two daughters, Mary (Bernie) Stiritz of Gwinn, MI and Anne (Matthew) Wood of Gwinn, MI; eight grandchildren, Michael R.and Nicole Sedlock, Colleen, Alex (Stephanie) and Tori Stiritz, Mindy (Matt) Kennedy and Rachel and Jacob Wood; two great grandchildren, Michael A. Sedlock and Davy Ray Hytinen; three sisters, Margaret Mascotti, Dorothy Millard and Mary Frances (Bob) Anderson and numerous nieces and nephews.
Ray was preceded in death by his parents, two brothers, Joe and Emery Sedlock and two sisters, Genevieve Anderson and Theresa Dufalo.
He will be missed by everyone who knew him but is now with our Lord in Heaven.
Visitation will be on Friday, September 23 from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church in Gwinn. Mass of Christian Burial will follow at 3:30 PM at the church. Ray will be laid to rest in the Gwinn Cemetery immediately following the services. A luncheon will be served, following the burial, at the church.